Assignment 2: LASA 1: Interview Techniques
You are a police officer in Centervale. While on patrol, you are dispatched to investigate a theft from a local retail store where the loss prevention representative has made an apprehension of a suspect. You are also notified that there are several employee witnesses and the suspect has other people with him in the store. All of these people may or may not be involved in this crime. Additionally they may be witnesses and have critical information needed for successful prosecution of this case.
Click here to read the transcript of your interactions at the retail store.
Prepare a 9- to 10-page Microsoft Word document which accommodates the following:
- Compare and contrast the fundamental concepts of communication in an investigatory interview and an interrogation. Analyze and explain whether the communication in this scenario would be classified as an interview or an interrogation. Apply the comparison and contrast information, the script, and external resources to support your position, and rationale.
- Analyze and discuss at least two different confession elicitation tactics that were used by Officer Stone in an effort to get Marty to confess. Contrast one of these tactics with a tactic that might have been less effective in this situation.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of Officer Stone’s efforts. Analyze and discuss a key area of strength and weakness in his approach. Identify any fundamental legal issues that Officer Stone may encounter related to how he handled this situation and his choice of tactics.
- Evaluate how you would have executed this communication in order to achieve the confession? Use empirical research in support of your evaluation; suggest how to improve an area of weakness and how to overcome any other obstacles you can identify in this situation.
- Predict what would happen if Marty implicated his friend Joe? Identify the questions that should be asked to provide evidence to Marty’s claim?
- Save the assignment as M3_A2_Lastname_Firstname.doc.
- By Wednesday, January 18, 2017, submit your assignment to the M3: Assignment 2 LASA 1 Dropbox.
LASA 1 Grading Criteria and Rubric
All LASAs in this course will be graded using a rubric. This assignment is worth 200 points. Download the rubric and carefully read it to understand the expectations.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Compared the fundamental concepts of communication as they relate to an investigatory interview and an interrogation and used the comparison information, the script, and external resources to support your position and rationale to analyze and explain the communication classifieds—an interview or an interrogation.||
|Identified two different tactics that Officer Stone used to get Alec to confess and contrasted one tactic with another less effective tactic.||
|Identified which interviewing technique was the most effective, analyzed and discussed a key area of strength and weakness, and identified any fundamental legal issues that Officer Stone may encounter related to his choice of tactics or how he handled this situation.||
|Created two suggestions for Officer Stone’s technique and tactics as supported by empirical evidence.||
|Predicted the outcome of Alec’s implication of one of his friends.||
|Proposed how the author would have implemented communication techniques to obtain a confession.||
|Illustrated what sort of communication strategies and questions would be asked to provide evidence to support Alec’s claim.||
Our writing company helps you enjoy campus life. We have committed and experienced tutors and academic writers who have a keen eye in writing papers related to Business, Management, Marketing, History, English, Media studies, Literature, nursing, Finance, Medicine, Archaeology, Accounting, Statistics, Technology, Arts, Religion, Economics, Law, Psychology, Biology, Philosophy, Sociology, Political science, Mathematics, Engineering, Ecology etc.