The purpose of this assignment is to demonstrate the power of stereotypes as a shorthand communication tool. With great economy of words, each speaker uses stereotypes to frame the audience into an in-group of which he or she is the leader and the out-group on the opposing side.
Part 1: Read transcripts of famous speeches
Access the following speeches located in the AUO Library:
- King, M. (2004). ‘I have a dream’.New African,(435), 67-67.http://search.proquest.com.libproxy.edmc.edu/docview/230228033
- Cullis-Suzuki, S. (1994). An appeal for future generations.Earth Island Journal,9(3), 14-14.http://search.proquest.com.libproxy.edmc.edu/docview/213829553
Part 2: Research other famous speeches
Explore various resources to research other famous speeches related to stereotyping and prejudice. Some suggestions are below. You may be able to find these speeches in video, audio, or text format. Try using a variety of search methods including visiting your local library, using Netflix or your local video store, or searching on YouTube. (You might also try locating the videos for the two famous speeches listed in Part 1 of this assignment.)
- Malcolm X: By Any Means Necessary
- Mahatma Gandhi: Nonviolence speech from the film Gandhi
- Gandhi’s definition on Satyagraha
Part 3: Write a Paper
For this assignment, select one of the above speakers/speech and prepare a 1200- to 1500-word paper that answers the following questions:
- Why did you select this particular speaker? Explain in around 300 words.
- Which is the in-group, and what are the unifying values or the ascribed status that provides its solidarity? Explain in around 300 words.
- What stereotype—prejudice, subordination, or discrimination—is the in-group challenging? Provide specific examples and explain in around 300 words.
- In your view, did members of the in-group conspire to subordinate the out-group, or was the in-group merely operating within the social structure of its time? Explain in around 300 words.
- How have your attitudes toward prejudice, subordination, or discrimination been influenced by the agents of socialization, such as family, peer groups, schools, and the media? Explain in around 300 words.
Provide a minimum of 3 references and apply the correct APA standards in the formatting of text, citations, and references.
The post The purpose of this assignment is to demonstrate the power of stereotypes as a shorthand communication tool. With great economy of words, each speaker uses stereotypes to frame the audience into an in-group of which he or she is the leader and the out-group on the opposing sid appeared first on Academic Works Help.
Our writing company helps you enjoy campus life. We have committed and experienced tutors and academic writers who have a keen eye in writing papers related to Business, Management, Marketing, History, English, Media studies, Literature, nursing, Finance, Medicine, Archaeology, Accounting, Statistics, Technology, Arts, Religion, Economics, Law, Psychology, Biology, Philosophy, Sociology, Political science, Mathematics, Engineering, Ecology etc.